Lee Franks purchased Al's Place, a twelve seat beer joint in the fall of 1945. The first
addition was already in progress. Lee's wife Alice was looking through a Sears catalog
one afternoon and spotted a table-top deep fryer. She bought it to make french fries at
Lee's Tavern which was a novelty for the time. One afternoon a customer requested fried
chicken. Alice went out back and slaughtered a chicken preparing it by her family recipes
from Louisiana. The chicken was a hit and from there Lee's Chicken was born. Lee & Alice
would add on to the existing structure eleven times including added kitchen work space,
two private dining rooms, and an apartment above the now famouse restaurant.
Lee Franks sold the well known establishment to Paul C. (Ozzie) and Janice L. Wilcoxen
Jr. in 1969. Oz & Jan have brought Lee's into the new millenium by keeping the same
recipes and practices in place producing the now famous chicken that is raved about by
customers. The Wilcoxen's still own the restaurant today with their daughter & son in law Dennis
& Michelle Kann helping to manage the business. You may catch a peek of a couple
grandchildren working around the restaurant as well.
Lee Franks-Circa 1950's
Ozzie & Janice Wilcoxen with their daughters Milli & Michelle, Circa 1970's