In the Spring of 1945, Lee & Alice Franks purchased Al's Place. Al's was a twelve seat beer joint which constituted just the small area around where the bar is today. They specialized in deluxe hamburgers. Alice saw a tabletop fryer in a Sears catalog one day and thought it would be great idea to add french fries to the offerings. Shortly afterward a customer came in proclaiming they wanted some fried chicken. As the story goes, Alice went out back killed then prepared a chicken using her family recipe from Louisiana. On that fateful day in 1946 Lee's Tavern began the transformation into Lee's Chicken. Lee & Alice would add on to the original structure eleven times including added kitchen space, indoor toilets, and an apartment upstairs before selling to long-time managers Ozzie & Janice Wilcoxen in 1969. The Wilcoxen's still own and manage the restaurant to this day.
The Finest in COMFORT FOOD..RECIPES STRAIGHT FROM LOUISIANA
Step Into the Time Machine